Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week 2 Reflection

Action research is an important aspect to effective leadership. Nancy Dana, author of Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher, offers many areas of inquiry, but many of them overlap. I can see how working collaboratively could help a principal jump start his or her research because just by reading some of the questions the principals presented, I, too, started applying those questions to issues on my current campus. For example, I am interested in building a neighborhood like environment in my school, and the idea of Morning Meetings was intriguing to me. I began to wonder how they worked, how much time they took to conduct, and what were the real outcomes of these meetings. These questions could be the beginning of a research based inquiry.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed how this course has given me a wealth of new ideas to try on my own campus. We also run a morning meeting type system, but it needs to be adapted for high school students. I'm considering a future action research project where I ask students to take a survey on how much they get out of the meetings and what role they believe they should play.

    ReplyDelete