Friday, July 30, 2010

Action Research Plan

My campus administrator loves the idea of looping and has many of his teacher loop with their students from grades 1 to 2 and then from grades 3 to 4. Some teachers love looping. They love the idea of building relationships with their students and their families, but other teachers think they cannot master two sets of standards and teach both sets adequately. So, my action research topic will address the benefits of looping. More specifically, I will answer the question, “Does looping positively affect academic achievement?” If looping positively affects academic achievement, I will look to answer the question, “To what extent does looping positively affect academic achievement?” The goal of this research project is to determine whether my campus administrator should make looping mandatory or if he should continue to encourage looping but allow ‘master’ grade level teachers to remain in place.

Plan of Action:
I will survey all teachers (looping and non-looping) to receive their feedback in regards to looping. I will also survey looping students and parents to garner their input. These surveys will be sent out during the first two weeks of school. Second, I will collect and analyze data from 2007 – 2010 and specifically compare data from looping versus non-looping teachers. I will specifically look at TAKS data, so for this purpose, I will look at 4th grade TAKS results. Attendance records and office referrals will also be compared to see if any correlation between looping and non-looping teachers can be made. Throughout this process, I will work with my campus administrator, the PEIMS secretary, and looping teachers.

Resources Needed:
This research process will require teacher specific TAKS data from 2007 - 2010, attendance records, and office referrals.

Timeline:
Surveys will be sent out during the first two weeks of school. Data will be collected and analyzed throughout the first semester in hopes to have recommendations for the principal by January, so he can make knowledgeable decisions about teacher placements for the 2011 – 2012 school year.

Conclusion:This research will allow me to make data driven recommendations in regards to whether my campus should continue looping as it will lead to conclusions regarding the affects of looping on academic achievement.

2 comments:

  1. I thinks it's great that your not only including testing data, but also behavioral data! So important! What about including a parent survey regarding perceived teacher effectivesness and comparing those results with how the classes performed...? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete