Friday, July 16, 2010

Action Research and Its Application

Action research is a continual process of questioning, analyzing data and information about the questions, answering some questions while asking even more. This process allows principals to step back and take a reflective view of the happenings on their campuses and take a proactive, rather than reactive, approach to dealing with concerns or issues affecting the campus culture or success. Because administrators should be reflective in nature, this process is ideal because it forces pondering issues and then analysis of data that surrounds those issues.
As a future administrator, I believe action research will be a beneficial tool for me to use. Not only do I foresee me conducting action research with other administrators, I also see action research being conducted with my leadership team and with grade levels. Taking a proactive approach to issues or concerns on my campus will be of utmost importance, and action research will allow me to do that.
I believe that, in order for action research to be beneficial, teachers are going to need to know what it is and how it differs from normal research. They will need to know that they will be required to take an active approach in not only posing questions but also looking at data that can answer those questions, and then developing a plan to answer that question appropriately. They should also know that answering their questions through active research will probably dredge up new questions that should also be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment